1. WHAT IS GRAPHISOFT BUG REPORTER?
GRAPHISOFT Bug Reporter is a program for reporting bugs, errors, crashes or other incorrect functionality of GRAPHISOFT products. It gathers information about your hardware configuration, system software and about GRAPHISOFT applications you have installed on your computer.
If “GSReport.exe” is installed in the ARCHICAD folder, then Bug Reporter is started automatically in case ARCHICAD crashes. You can also start it manually anytime by double-clicking its icon. You can one-click-send the report to GRAPHISOFT, or you can also edit it to include further details of the crash, which will help us resolve the problem.
2. PROGRAM FUNCTIONS
After the application is started, it gathers necessary system information, including hardware configuration and software settings. On a typical computer the system check usually takes less than 10 seconds.
In the ‘GRAPHISOFT Bug Reporter‘ window you have three options:
- ‘Exit‘ will close the application any time, even during system checking. No report will be saved or sent to GRAPHISOFT.
- ‘Send Now‘ will connect to the Internet, and will submit your report to GRAPHISOFT.
- ‘Edit‘ will open the report for editing, enabling you to include further details with the report.
2.1. Sending the Report
When you click the ‘Send now…‘ button, GSReport will try and set up an Internet connection with a GRAPHISOFT server. If the connection is successful your report will be submitted and you will get a Bug Report ID. The Bug Report IDs are logged in a text file called CrashSubmissionLog.txt. This file is located at: C:\Users\<user>\GRAPHISOFT (on Windows 8.1 and 10) or <user home>/library/logs (on Mac OS X 10.10 or 10.11). The Bug Report ID is necessary to identify the bug in case you want to contact Technical Support for troubleshooting the problem.
Note: In case your proxy server requires authentication you will be prompted to give your credentials. If the connection fails you will have the option to save your report file onto your computer and send it to your Local ARCHICAD Provider at a later time.
2.2. Editing the Report
If you click the ‘Edit‘ button, the Problem Description page will open. You can include here notes about the problem. It is a great help for Technical Support and Development team if you write a detailed description of the problem, e.g., “I tried to Click-to-Trim a circular wall with a closed spline intersecting it at 4 points when bogus lines appeared on the screen.” The description is optional.
After clicking the ‘Next‘ button, the full Report window will open with four tab pages. Here you can review all the information that will be submitted:
- The ‘Description‘ tab shows the description you have just typed
- The ‘System‘ tab page shows information collected about your Operating system, drives and memory status
- The ‘Configuration‘ tab page shows information collected about your hardware components, drivers, and software environment
- The ‘GRAPHISOFT ‘ tab page shows information collected about your installed GRAPHISOFT components
You can comment on any item by selecting it and writing your remarks in the ‘Your remarks‘ space at the bottom of the window, e.g., “It says I have 2048 MB of RAM but in fact I only have 1024.”
Although the Report does not include any personal information, or information about third-party applications you have on your machine (excluding system software), you have full control over the information you send: You can disable any item or subtree by clicking on the lock to hide it. The full subtree of a locked item is hidden. You cannot lock items on the GRAPHISOFT tab, since information listed here is necessary for processing the report.
The ‘Send Now…‘ button will send the Report via Internet. The ‘Send later‘ button will prompt you to save the report on your drive. You can send the resulting .rep file later via e-mail.
3. WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION DOES THE PROGRAM GATHER?
3.1. System information
- Time and date: time of the configuration snapshot
- Operating system: version, system files, version of system files, settings
- Main system: your hardware configuration (CPU, keyboard, system devices)
- Drives: visible volumes (size and capabilities only, no content!)
- Memory status: your installed and free memory sizes
3.2. System configuration
- Current display device: video mode, video card, driver files
- Printers: driver, driver files, printer settings/capabilities
- Applications: what applications were running at the time of the snapshot
- Hidden/background processes: what other processes were running at the time of the snapshot
3.3. GRAPHISOFT settings
- ARCHICAD version and settings
- Files and file versions in the current ARCHICAD folder
Bug Reporter does not collect any personal information or information about third-party programs you have installed on your computer. Additionally, you have the option to hide any data gathered by GRAPHISOFT Bug Reporter that you find confidential, thus preventing it from being sent to Technical Support.
4. WHAT IF AN ERROR OCCURS IN GSREPORT ITSELF?
If GSReport itself crashes, it creates a log called “GSReport.RPT“. This file is located at: C:\Users\<user>\GRAPHISOFT (on Windows 8.1 and 10) or <user home>/library/logs (on Mac OS X 10.10 or 10.11). Please send this file to your local Technical Support team.