Compatible ArchiCAD versions
- GRAPHISOFT is maintaining compatibility for ArchiCAD 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 and connected products (BIMcloud, BIMx, BIM Server, BIM Server Manager) on Windows 8.1.
Not supported versions
- ArchiCAD 15 and older versions may be run on Windows 8.1, though these were designed to work with older versions of the operating system. As a result of this there is no official support for operating system specific problems. Based on GRAPHISOFT’s experiences ArchiCAD 15 works well on Windows 8.1.
Operating System branch compatibility
GRAPHISOFT products are supported on Pro and Enterprise editions and are compatible with Home and Educational editions.
- Study the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 articles for any known issues, difficulties
- Back up all of your data, including ArchiCAD / BIM Server specific data before upgrading the operating system. When switching from 32-bit to 64-bit, you need to perform a clean install of Windows. This means that you have to re-install all your software applications and migrate all your data after installing the system.
- Upload all Software keys to the License Pool
- Return all borrowed licenses before upgrading the OS
- Allow yourself enough time for the upgrade, do not upgrade the OS close to a deadline
- Install/update Windows.
- Install ArchiCAD. Your ArchiCAD install DVD includes both 32-bit and 64-bit version of ArchiCAD, and the correct version will automatically selected when you run the automated installer wizard.
- Install all updates for the new operating system
- Install all updates for GRAPHISOFT products
- Install the Windows 8.1 compatible protection key driver
- Test ArchiCAD and the BIM Server
Based on GRAPHISOFT’s test there are no new known issues on Windows 8.1. Please note the ones that apply for Windows 8. For details see our Windows 8 guide.