In case you would like to use network licenses (e.g. instead of single licenses) first you need a CodeMeter hardware key or software key. Contact your local GRAPHISOFT partner to order one or to exchange your existing single key(s).
About the available license types see: ArchicadLicenseTypes
Single or network keys:
A so called single key can hold one license for each GRAPHISOFT product (ARCHICAD, MEP, EcoDesigner Star, BIMx) and can be used locally. You connect the hardware key to your computer’s USB port or download the software key with License Manager Tool (LMT) and if you have the CodeMeter driver installed (it is installed with ARCHICAD or with LMT) your GRAPHISOFT product will find a license and will run in commercial mode. Each workstation in an office needs to have an individual key.
A network key can hold multiple licenses related to each product (ARCHICAD, MEP, EcoDesigner Star, BIMx). To share them across multiple computers you need a CodeMeter server. It gives more flexibility than having individual keys as the licenses are allocated only when they are being used on one of the clients.
System requirements for a CodeMeter server
The CodeMeter server is part of the CodeMeter driver so you only need to select a computer on your network that will act as a CodeMeter server. To set up a CodeMeter server – as a network license server you will need the followings:
- a computer with network connection (should be running during work hours)
- the computer needs to have at least one free USB port for hardware key only
- CodeMeter driver needs to be installed (can be found on the installation DVD or can be downloaded from here)
- a connected CodeMeter hardware key or downloaded software key with network licenses
There is no need for server level operating system for the CodeMeter server. Any computer that has recent Windows or OS X versions is capable to act as CodeMeter server. (Windows 7, Window 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, OS X 10.9, 10.10, 10.11) Even one of the workstations can work as a CodeMeter server, you only need to keep it running during the work hours. (moving the CodeMeter server to one of the clients is a good troubleshooting solution in case anything happens to the server.)
Set up the server
After you have your server running and the CodeMeter driver is installed you can start the server following these steps:
All CodeMeter settings can be managed in CodeMeter WebAdmin. To start it:
- Open CodeMeter Center (from Applications or using the Start menu) and click on WebAdmin
- Or simply open localhost:22350 on your browser
To enable the CodeMeter server:
- Go to Configuration/Server Configuration tab
- Check Enable Network Server checkbox
- Do not forget to Apply the changes and Restart CodeMeter service
From that point the server runs and shares licenses on the local network.
- Check Run CmWAN Server checkbox to use the computer in a wide area network (WAN) and allow license accesses.
- Do not forget to Apply the changes
Client side settings
All client on the local network should find the server automatically. In case this does not work (e.g. your server is in a different subnet, or you are connecting remotely through the Internet) then you may need the specify the server’s hostname of IP address on the client:
- Open WebAdmin
- Add the server to the Server Search List
This field may have more entries and the client searches for available licenses in the specified order. It only searches for the specified server unless the list is empty.
With the default settings all computers on the same local network (same subnet) may use a license from the server. In case the access needs to be restricted:
- Open WebAdmin
- Configuration/Access Control
In case the Clients’ list is empty the above mentioned rule applies – anyone on the local network can use a license. In case at least one entry is specified here only the specified one/ones can request a license.
If the server is public on the Internet -as described here – or none is allowed to use a license, make sure that this list is filled correctly to avoid unwanted license usage.
You may want to check who is using a license:
- Open WebAdmin on the server computer
- Server/User tab
Here you can get list about the active clients and about clients having borrowed licenses.
Set up license borrowing
If your network key has a license borrowing product the clients can borrow a license. More about license borrowing.
IMPORTANT: in case license borrowing is used make sure all licenses are returned/expired before doing any of the followings:
- In relation to upgrading to newer ARCHICAD version
- upgrading the licenses with LMT or on the upgrade site.
- installing a new main version of ARCHICAD (for more details go here )
In relation to other changes
- unplugging the server CodeMeter key from the computer or transferring it to a different one (even with the same network specification)
- uninstalling, reinstalling the CodeMeter driver
- re-installing the Operating system (Windows, OS X)
- changing the IP address of the server computer
For details see: CodeMeter/LicenseStuck
There is no additional setting needed to enable license borrowing but you might want to customize the following settings:
By default the borrowed licenses are valid for 30 days, that means that if the license is not returned within this period the license will expire and will be automatically returned to the server. You can customize this maximum time:
- Open WebAdmin
- Go to Configuration/Borrowing
- Set the preferred ‘Maximum Borrow Duration’
Note that the maximum time is 30 days so you can specify only shorter time periods. The period needs to be specified in minutes.
Maximum number of borrowable licenses:
You can also maximize the number of licenses that are allowed to be in borrowed state. Enter the preferred value to the ‘Maximum Borrow Quantity field’. This cannot be more than the navailable license quantity of the borrowing product. Start LMT to list the number of licenses you have and check the quantity of the LBRK (for keyplug based borrowing) or LBRA (for file based license borrowing) products.
Borrowing from a Software NET Key:
IMPORTANT: From a Software NET Key it is only possible to borrow a license to a file (computer).
Each client identifies the server by host name or IP addresses. This can be customized on the server level, so when the server issues the license the client gets the chosen address and will try to return the license to that. On networks with reliable DNS settings Server name identification is the best choice, but on networks without that or in mixed platform environment (Macs & PCs) choose identification based on IP addresses. In that case it is important to use static IP address for the Server.
To customize all of these settings Overwrite Entry Settings checkbox should be checked. It is strongly recommended to test the borrow environment. Set a relatively short Borrow Duration and you can test your setup without risking to lose a license for a long period.
For additional network tips see: CodeMeter/NetworkSettingsForLicenseBorrowing