Archicad 18 Install and Startup Troubleshooting Guide
The latest Archicad installer can be downloaded from GRAPHISOFT’s Download area. Earlier versions can be found on the MyArchicad .com.
NOTE: If you are upgrading from Archicad 17 you need the download the same installer. There is no direct update from Archicad 17 to 17. They are separate applications.
Strongly recommended to check before installation:
1. Return all borrowed licenses before installing Archicad 18
- Archicad 18 installer removes the previous CodeMeter driver along with information on the borrowed licenses.
- Not doing so will cause these licenses to be lost for the borrowing period.
2. Disable your Antivirus solution for the period of the installation
- The current Antivirus software are really effective, in many cases they even block files that are not infected - this may cause problems during the installation (for extra safety you can scan the GRAPHISOFT installer before the installation; all GRAPHISOFT provided packages go through virus checking during the Quality Control process).
- Disconnect all of your network connections (both connection via cable and wifi) - to avoid accidental infection, disable your Antivirus solution then install Archicad and turn back your Antivirus protection before going online again.
- Affected Antivirus solutions that have been reported by Archicad users:
3. Disconnect your locally inserted protection key for the period of the installation
- The protection key driver may be updated during the installation.
- To avoid any driver related error, disconnect your protection key before running the installer.
4. Check the official System Requirements to make sure your computer is capable of running Archicad 18
- Archicad 18 System Requirements on GRAPHISOFT's website
- On the same link consult our hardware tips to choose the optimal configuration for Archicad 18
5. Install all operating system updates prior installing Archicad
- On Mac: Apple button on menu bar, Software update
- On Windows: Start menu, Windows update
6. Make sure the current user has administrative rights
- The installation requires administrative rights, privileges.
- Use an administrator account for the installation of Archicad and its components.
Here you can find a step by step instruction how to install Archicad 18.
Before Running Archicad 18
1. Make sure that you load the newly purchased or updated license to your license key before running Archicad 18
- General guide and troubleshooting: Remote Key Upgrade
- Important note for all OS X users: Key Upgrade Problem on Lion
2. Do not forget to update the protection key driver on your license server
- If your CodeMeter or Wibu server is a computer that does not run Archicad make sure you update the driver on that computer as well. To check it, please visit the https://upgrade.graphisoft.com/ site. Before installing the latest driver make sure that all licenses have been returned.
- You can find the installer on the Archicad 18 install disk or it is available for download on GRAPHISOFT's website.
Troubleshooting, Known Issues
Archicad 18 shows warning message on startup: „Cannot create temporary documents.”
- Issue: Starting Archicad 18 on Windows Operating System gives a warning message: Cannot create temporary documents.” – Previous Archicad versions are also affected with this issue.
- Cause: archicad.temp can’t be created because:
a) The AutoSave folder is full (it can contain maximum 50 folders);
b) The user doesn’t have the rights to write and read the AutoSave folder.
a) Delete the contents of the AutoSave folder;
b) Check and change the permissions of the current user.
The CodeMeter driver bundled with Archicad 16-18 cannot be installed on OS X 10.10.3
Issue: The CodeMeter driver included in Archicad installers can't be installed. The installer recognizes 10.3 string from 10.10.3 as and older version of OS X, which is not compatible with the driver. The error message below is displayed when trying to install the driver:
Solution: As a solution install the newest CodeMeter driver, which can be downloaded and installed manually from our Protection Key Driver Downloads page
Proxy Server interferes with GSID Login
Issue: BIMx login, the BIMComponents search and the LMT login is inhibited in case of the presence of a Proxy server
Workaround: If manageable please disable the proxy
This issue is planned to be fixed in the next Archicad 18 update
Getting "MFPlat.DLL is missing from your computer" error at startup.
Issue: At the first start of Archicad you get "MFPlat.DLL is missing from your computer" error.
Cause: There is no Media Foundation Platform installed on Windows7 N and Windows7 KN version.
Solution: Download and install the Media Feature Pack from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=16546
The install process is halted
- Issue: After extracting the install file, the process stops. The Java version is probably incompatible.
- Solution: Remove Java from the Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Programs and features. If the uninstall is unsuccessful, Java might be corrupted, and a Cleanup Utility might have to be used. Following the uninstall, let the Archicad installer Install the proper version of Java 7. You can also install Java manually before installing AC18, from here, but it is recommended to let the AC installer do the work.
More about Java compatibility: Install/Java
Archicad 18 cannot be installed on this platform
- Issue: The same phenomenon comes as in the previous issue: After starting the installer from the DVD multimedia panel with clicking on the Install GRAPHISOFT Archicad 18 an error comes:
"AC18 cannot be installed on this platform"
Although the platform suits the requirements.
- Solution: Starting the Setup.exe from the Archicad 18 folder from the file menu will work the problem around.