Java versions that are supported by the GRAPHISOFT installers (or un-installers)
In many cases newer, older, corrupted Java versions may block the installation and uninstallation of the GRAPHISOFT products. From here you can download the Java version that was bundled with the ArchiCAD version you have.
After a successful installation/uninstallation the best is updating Java to the latest version. You can download the latest version from java.com
Java installers for ArchiCAD
Java installers for ArchiCAD can be downloaded from graphisoft.com/Java
About Java 8
On both, Windows and Mac, platforms the ArchiCAD and the ArchiCAD Update installers work with Java 8.
- the ArchiCAD installer cannot work with Java 8 so you have to downgrade to Java 7.
- The ArchiCAD Hotfix installers work with Java 8 and 7 as well.
- the ArchiCAD installer cannot work with Java, you have to downgrade to Java 7.
- ArchiCAD Hotfix #8 installer works with Java 8, earlier packages require Java 7.
- You can install ArchiCAD or ArchiCAD Hotfixes without any problem.
- Both the ArchiCAD installer and Hotfix installers work.
How to downgrade Java 8 to Java 7
On Windows Java versions are installed separately. You can uninstall Java 8 through Control Panel’s Add/Remove Programs feature.
On Mac the “Oracle” Java is installed onto a dedicated bundle at System Volume: “/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin” . This means that only one version of Java is installed at all times.
To downgrade 8 to 7 you have to delete the 8 “JavaAppletPlugin.plugin” (this step needs authentication)
- To navigate to this folder open Finder
- Go menu > Go to folder…
- Select Computer
- Your system volume – by default Macintosh HD
- /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
- Select JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
- Move to Trash
About Java 7
If you installed ArchiCAD 17 with Wibu protection you might need to install Java 6 separately in order to run ArchiCAD with your key. WkConfig requires Java 6, so if it is not present on your computer use Java 6u32 installer from the above list.
ArchiCAD 16 Hotfixes
If you are installing an ArchiCAD 16 Hotfix onto a Windows platform Java 6 will be required even if Java version 7 is already installed on your computer. If Java 6 is not present on your Windows you can download and install from here. The two Java Versions will not interfere.
If you are installing ArchiCAD 16 and Java version 7 is installed on your computer, the installer (or un-installer) of ArchiCAD will install the required Java version 1.6.32. The two Java Versions will not interfere.
ArchiCAD 11 – ArchiCAD 15
If you are installing ArchiCAD 11-15 and Java version 7 is installed, the installers (or un-installers) of ArchiCAD won’t work. To make them work:
- Temporarily uninstall the v7 Java version
- open Control Panel
- Add/Remove programs
- Remove Java 7
- Install the one from the previous list for the version of ArchiCAD you have (in most of the cases when you install Java version 7 (1.7) the old Java version is kept, so you only need to remove Java 7 in order to make the GRAPHISOFT installer work)
- Install/Uninstall the ArchiCAD version
- After that you can reinstall the original Java version – e.g. from http://java.com/en/
UNINSTALL JAVA AT YOUR OWN RISK. Refer to www.java.com (On windows/on mac) for the proper uninstall procedure. The removal of Java may have adverse affects on your system and is not advised unless you understand the risk and are competent at performing such procedures.