This article describes the Retina Display compatibility with GRAPHISOFT products.
Devices with Retina Display
iMac with Retina 5K display, 4K displays connected to Macs
The new iMac with Retina 5K display features a screen that has resolution of 5120 by 2880 pixels. This is four times more pixels to calculate than with a regular 27″ iMac.
Based on GRAPHISOFT’s latest tests the performance of ArchiCAD significantly drops on such displays, including 4K displays as well. As a result, at this point it is not recommended to invest in iMacs with Retina 5K displays or 4K displays.
GRAPHISOFT is actively researching the available technologies to improve the performance on such high-res displays.
ArchiCAD works smooth on retina MacBook Pros. For the best performance select models with dedicated video cards, like the top of the line 15″ model with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.
BIMx on mobile devices
The latest version of BIMx on iOS fully exploits the possibilities of the Retina Display. The application has already been updated to support the latest devices.
Here is a screenshot of BIMx running in HiDPI environment:
Please note that the image is re-scaled. Click here to see the cropped image in original resolution.
ArchiCAD, BIMx Desktop Viewer
Retina Display support in ArchiCAD 17+
- ArchiCAD 17+ fully supports Retina displays both in 2D and 3D design environments
Retina Display support in ArchiCAD 16
- ArchiCAD 16 is fully functional on Retina Displays. Benefits of using ArchiCAD in full Retina (HiDPI) mode include: remarkably sharp and smooth 2D element and text display.
- ArchiCAD 16 Hotfix 2 (3270) contains some further improvements:
- Extended support for trace reference
- Retina (HiDPI) resolution support in 3D design environment (OpenGL, Internal Engine)
- Minor fixes to icons
Retina Display support in ArchiCAD 15 and earlier
- ArchiCAD 15 currently has usability issues when used in HiDPI mode: popup windows might appear outside of the visible screen. We recommend using ArchiCAD 15 and earlier versions in normal resolution (HiDPI mode turned off) on the new MacBookPro computers: open Applications and highlight ArchiCAD within the Graphisoft folder. Choose Get Info and check in the Open in Low Resolution mode. See the steps detailed: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5266