- Version compatibility:
- Windows 10 branches, editions:
- Upgrade checklist
- Known issues
- Error message appears when installing ARCHICAD 18 or ARCHICAD 19 to Windows 10 N and KN editions
- BIMcloud Manager’s web interface cannot be opened with Microsoft Edge, installation can’t be completed
- Unable to shrink the open-save dialog on Windows 10
- Shadows under windows effect is disabled by ARCHICAD
GRAPHISOFT had been testing Windows 10 beta and is continuously testing the final released version. We have found Windows 10 to be compatible with our current products. Any known issues found so far and to be found in the future will be published under the Known Issues section below.
- v18 and newer: Compatible&Supported (Updates released to fix new compatibility issues)
- v15-17: Compatible (Updates are not released to fix new compatibility issues)
- v13-14: Not Compatible (if QuickTime is not installed)
- v12 and older: Not Compatible
- File converter versions: Compatible for converting files if QuickTime is installed
ARCHICAD STAR(T) Edition:
- 2010-2016: Compatible
- 2008-2009: Not compatible
Compatible: all features of the respective ARCHICAD version are supported by the Operating System.
Not Compatible: the ARCHICAD version does not run on the Operating System.
Windows 10 branches, editions:
Microsoft has changed how updates and upgrades are rolled out for the operating system. Four branches have been created to differentiate when a new features are rolled out to the Windows users. GRAPHISOFT recommends Current Branch or Current Branch for Business to be used with ARCHICAD.
- Supported branches: Current Branch, Current Branch for Business, Long Term Servicing Branch
- Not supported branch: Windows Insider Preview Branch
GRAPHISOFT products are supported on Pro and Enterprise editions and are compatible with Home and Educational editions.
- Study Windows 10 articles for any known issues, difficulties
- Back up all of your data, including ArchiCAD / BIM Server specific data before upgrading the operating system. When switching from 32-bit to 64-bit, you need to perform a clean install of Windows. This means that you have to re-install all your software applications and migrate all your data after installing the system.
- Upload all Software keys to the License Pool
- Return all borrowed licenses before upgrading the OS
- Allow yourself enough time for the upgrade, do not upgrade the OS close to a deadline
- Install/update Windows.
- Install ArchiCAD. Your ArchiCAD install DVD includes both 32-bit and 64-bit version of ArchiCAD, and the correct version will automatically selected when you run the automated installer wizard.
- Install all updates for the new operating system
- Install all updates for GRAPHISOFT products
- Install the Windows 10 compatible protection key driver
- Test ArchiCAD and the BIM Server
Error message appears when installing ARCHICAD 18 or ARCHICAD 19 to Windows 10 N and KN editions
Affected versions: ARCHICAD 18 and ARCHICAD 19| Severity: workaround applicable
The GXMedia.dll can’t run because the Windows Media Feature Pack is not installed on Windows N and KN version by default.
Make sure you confirm your OS Build number before going ahead with the below steps (OS Build number can be found under Settings – System – About)
- Windows 10 Enterprise Build 10586.71 (Released in November 2015): Download and install the Windows Media Feature Pack from the Microsoft website before installing ARCHICAD.
- Windows 10 Enterprise Build 10240 (Original release – July 2015): Download and install Windows Media Feature Pack from the Microsoft website before installing ARCHICAD.
- Windows 10 N Edition Build 14393 (Released in August 2016): download and install Windows Media Feature Pack from the Microsoft website before installing ARCHICAD.
The Media Feature pack is necessary to install and to run certain functions of ARCHICAD. In ARCHICAD 20 we will add more information to the error message so users could reach the corresponding Microsoft site more easily where they can download the Windows Media Feature Pack.
BIMcloud Manager’s web interface cannot be opened with Microsoft Edge, installation can’t be completed
Affected versions: BIM Server and BIMcloud web interface| Severity: workaround applicable
During the configuration process of BIM Server and BIMcloud, the installer opens the default web browser, and on Windows 10 with the default settings Microsoft Edge opens, which can’t recognize the http://127.0.0.1:port address therefore the installation can’t be finished. The browser also can’t recognize Fully Qualified Domain Name address (http://FQDN:port) or the http://Computer name:port.
Use another web browser or type http://localhost:port to the browser’s address bar instead of the IP, FQDN or computer name.
Unable to shrink the open-save dialog on Windows 10
Affected versions: 17 and newer| Severity: there is no workaround
Note: Fixed in ARCHICAD 19 Update Build 6006
Open and Save dialogs can’t be shrunk on Windows 10 platform. If you accidentally double click on the header and the dialog becomes full screen, it can’t be reset to default, not even with a preferences cleaning.
Shadows under windows effect is disabled by ARCHICAD
Affected versions: 18 and 19 | Severity: workaround applicable (fixed in AC18 Update 7007 and AC19 Update 5005)
When one starts ARCHICAD 19 on Windows 10 Operating System, shadows under windows effect is switched off. This effect is the only thing that divides the windows, so the same colored ones can fuze with each other.
Shutting down ARCHICAD doesn’t solve the issue, the shadows will appear again just after Log off/on.
After starting ARCHICAD, switch off the shadow application, then switch on again.
– Open Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings;
– (Alternatively you can use the Start Menu and search for „Advanced system settings”);
– Advanced tab > Performance > Settings;
– Here check „Show shadows under windows” and click OK.