Please note that ARCHICAD 19 does not support Wibu key protection, ARCHICAD 18 was the last version which supports Wibu key protection.
WibuKeys are backwards compatible. That is, a WibuKey programmed for ARCHICAD 16 can run previous versions back to ARCHICAD 7.0 (or, with proper tools installed, back to 6.0).
How WIBU-KEY Server works
The WIBU-KEY Server Application is an application that offers services to WIBU-KEY Clients which run in the same LAN (Local Area Network). On all computers where an ARCHICAD runs a Wibu-Key Client is also set up (If the ARCHICAD package has been properly installed and WIBU option has been chosen at installation). When ARCHICAD is started on a computer then this ARCHICAD will communicate with the Wibu-Key Client on this computer. The WIBU-KEY Client then gets a license for running ARCHICAD either from the locally plugged Single Wibu-Key or it searches the LAN for a WIBU-KEY Server. The reached WIBU-KEY Server then gets the license from a Network Wibu-Key plugged in there and it allocates to the ARCHICAD that was initially asking for it by sending the needed information back to to the ARCHICAD application through the WIBU-KEY Client.
Setting up a basic WIBU-KEY Server configuration
Select a computer in your LAN on which you will install the WIBU-KEY Server application. This computer might be whichever computer in the LAN (even one where an ARCHICAD will be running), the only thing that you should consider is that this computer should always be running and should be available on the LAN while anyone is working on an ARCHICAD. Due to this the WIBU-KEY Server is most commonly installed on a computer where other services are also running, so most commonly this is a Server Computer.
System requirements for server computer
- Windows (XP/Vista/7/8.1/10) or OSX (10.6+ ) operating systems
- TCP/IP protocol on client and server machines
- Minimum 15MB free hard disc space
- USB hardware key (with NET licenses, but also single key can be used to share its one license)
Installing the WIBU-KEY Server for ARCHICAD
Note: Before you install WIBU-KEY WkLAN server application, disable standby and hibernate features in the Power Options control panel.
- Make sure that no Wibu-Key is plugged into the computer.
- Insert ARCHICAD install DVD
- Launch WIBUKEY.exe for installation on Windows Operating System
- Launch Wibu Installer.app for installation on OSX Operating System
- Leave all settings unmodified (i.e. Don’t check the “Install as NT Service” option on Windows)
- Finish installation
- Attach your WIBU hardware key to your server computer
Using the WIBU-KEY server
- Launch the Network Server program from Start menu\Programs\WIBU-KEY menu. The WIBU-KEY Server icon will appear in the system tray.
- Double-clicking the WIBU-KEY Server icon will open the Server Status Window.
- To turn off the WIBU-KEY Server, make sure that the Server Status Window is closed, then right-click the System Tray icon, and select Exit from the context menu.
Note: If you wish to start the server as a service, then start the Server application, right-click the System Tray icon, and select Start as Service.
- Launch WkSvMacX.app from Application\WIBUKEY
- The server can be also started as a daemon – run WkConfig and on the Server tab check Start Daemon on Boot checkbox
To create a log of the WIBU-KEY Server activity, right-click the System Tray icon, and check the Logging option on Windows. Server logs will be saved to %PROGRAM FILES%\WIBUKEY\Server\ WkServer .log. On Mac you can change the logging status and path on the Server tab of WkConfig .
For a detailed description see: WibuKey/ManagingUsers
On PC you can cancel users connected to the Server by the Server Monitor Application.
- Start Server Monitor from the Start menu\Programs\WIBU-KEY menu
- Click the Browse network button to see all the WIBU-KEY Servers in your Network
- Select a server in the WIBU-KEY Server List: to see users connected to that specific Server
- You can see the access information of all active users. You can also cancel users with the Cancel user command
Note: You can install and run the Server Monitor application on any computers in the Network, not just the WIBU-KEY Server computer.
On Mac use WibuKey Server Web Monitor to manage users
- Run WkSvMacX.app, choose Action/Open Webmonitor
- In your browser you can see information about all active users (cluster tab), and also you can cancel users with the Cancel user command
You can set a Time Out period, after which inactive (crashed) licenses will be automatically cancelled. Open the WIBU-KEY Control Panel (accessible from the Windows control panel, or by clicking the Control Panel button in the Server Monitor), and select the Server tab page. Set the Time Out value in minutes. The default value is 1440 minutes (24 hours). On Mac the same settings can be found in WkConfig under Server tab.