ARCHICAD Protection Key Types
ARCHICAD requires a hardware or software protection key to run in unlimited “full” or “commercial” mode. The following protection key types exist to date:
|CodeMeter software-based protection key||download||ArchiCAD 18||ArchiCAD 10-203|
|CodeMeter hardware key||USB||ArchiCAD 13||ArchiCAD 10-203|
|WibuKey||ADB, LPT, USB||ArchiCAD 7.0||ArchiCAD 6.0 – 182|
|Rainbow Sentinel||ADB, LPT||4.16 on Windows
6.0 on Mac
|4.16-6.0 on Windows
6.0; 6.5; No backward compatibility on Mac1
|Microguard||ADB||5.0 on Mac||5.0; 5.1; No backward compatibility1|
- The old Mac protection key (type Microguard for versions 5 and 5.1 and type Rainbow Sentinel for versions 6.0 and 6.5) was not backward-compatible, however the ARCHICAD Install CD contained the previous ARCHICAD version recompiled to run with the new protection key
- The ArchiCAD 7.0 CD contained a special version of Archicad 6.0 (r5/v5), Archicad 6.5 (r4/v4), which runs with WIBU key.
- To run ArchiCAD 10-12 with CodeMeter, the CodeMeter Enabler is required.
Protection Key Troubleshooting Guides
- How to troubleshoot CodeMeter issues
- Known CodeMeter issues and solutions
- How to report CodeMeter issues to Local Technical Support/Distributor
Products supported: ArchiCAD 6.0 and upwards, MEP Modeler, EcoDesigner
WibuKey was introduced with ArchiCAD 7.0, however the ArchiCAD 7.0 CD contained a special version of Archicad 6.0 (r5/v5), Archicad 6.5 (r4/v4), which runs with WIBU key. The WibuKey licenses are backward compatible, meaning that with an ArchiCAD 13 license you can run anything from ArchiCAD 6.0r5 to ArchiCAD 13.
With a single key, you can run as many ArchiCAD copies (any version of it) on the same computer as you like. If you are connected to a NET Key, running multiple copies of the same ArchiCAD version uses one license. Running copies of different ArchiCAD versions may use one or more licenses from the Key Server, depending on the protection “version group” of ArchiCAD. These ArchiCADs belong to the same version group:
With ArchiCAD 16 licenses:
- ArchiCAD 6.0; 6.5; 7.0
- ArchiCAD 8; 8.1; 9; 10; 11; 12
- ArchiCAD 13; 14
- ArchiCAD 15; 16
With ArchiCAD 17 licenses each ArchiCAD version belongs to a separate version group:
- ArchiCAD 17
- ArchiCAD 16
- ArchiCAD 15
With ArchiCAD 18 licenses:
- ArchiCAD 18
- ArchiCAD 17, 16, 15, 14, 13
- earlier ArchiCAD versions
Note for users upgrading to ArchiCAD 13: if you start ArchiCAD on the same machine where the key is plugged, then ArchiCAD 13 will use it as a Single key, and no other users can reserve licenses on this key. This behavior is new in ArchiCAD 13! To run ArchiCAD on the key-server machine:
- disable ‘Local’ Subsystem in the WkConfig .app (Mac) or in the WIBU Control Panel (PC)
- specify server address 127.0.0.1 (localhost) as the WkLAN Server.
- Then run the Wibu server
- Start ArchiCAD.
The future of WibuKey
ArchiCAD 18 released in 2014 is the last version that supports Wibu (green) Hardware Keys. All further ArchiCAD versions will only support CodeMeter (Hardware Key) and CodeMeter Act (Software Key) protection technology.
In order to run further ArchiCAD versions the existing WibuKeys must be replaced with hardware or software protection keys.
Hardware-based protection key compatibility
Products supported: ArchiCAD 10 and upwards, MEP Modeler, EcoDesigner
- CodeMeter driver – optional install from ArchiCAD install disk (v.13 and above) or available on the WIBU Download Page
- WibuKey driver – optional install from ArchiCAD install disk or available on the WIBU Download Page
- CodeMeter enabler – Available here
Running different versions of ArchiCAD (e.g. 10 and 15) simultaneously on the same computer will use one license from the CodeMeter NET key. It is possible to enable the License Borrowing feature in CodeMeter keys. (See Codemeter article for details)
Software-based protection key compatibility
Products supported: ArchiCAD 13 and upwards, MEP Modeler, EcoDesigner
Software-Based Protection Keys – or Software Keys for short – have the same functionality as Hardware-Based Protection Keys, but instead of storing software licenses on an USB stick, the licenses are stored in a software container file on your computer. Software keys use the same CodeMeter technology as the metal USB keys most ArchiCAD users currently have. This means that any ArchiCAD version that is natively compatible with the CodeMeter keys (ArchiCAD 13 or higher) will also be compatible with the Software Key.
CodeMeter Software key was introduced with ArchiCAD 18 in year 2015. CodeMeter software keys can run however version 13-17 too. To be able to use the software based protection keys, the following components are required:
- CodeMeter driver – optional install from ArchiCAD install disk (v.13 and above) or available on the Codemeter Download Page.
- License Manager Tool (LMT) – The License Manager Tool is a software tool that enables you to manage GRAPHISOFT product licenses on your Protection Key.
- GRAPHISOFT ID along with a GRAPHISOFT ID company.
Running different versions of ArchiCAD (e.g. 13 and 15) simultaneously on the same computer will use one license from the Software-Based Protection key (either single or NET). It is possible to enable the License Borrowing feature in Software-Based Protection keys from ARCHICAD 19.
Note: Please upload the borrowed licences back to the pool before saving with Time Machine.
Compatibility with remote access software
Remote desktop solutions allow one or more users to remotely sign in on one particular computer. Based on the nature of these technologies multiple users may be signed in on the same computer, so for this a NET (network) license is required. Each active user will require a separate license, so for example if you allow three different users to log in simultaneously on a computer a NET 3 license will be required. If you only access your work computer from home only one license will be required. If you need to convert your single license to a NET one, contact your local distributor.
A couple of remote desktop solutions:
- Microsoft’s RDP
Screen sharing works on a little bit different way. Usually one client’s screen is being shared and the control is at one viewer. As a result, a single license is enough for this.
Couple of examples:
- VNC / OS X’s built in Screen sharing
- Teamviewer, join.me, GotoAssist, GotoMeeting, LogMeIn
Mixing Keys in the same Network
Mixing WibuKey driver versions
AC 13 will not run if client and server WIBUkey drivers are different versions.