From ArchiCAD 17 the BIMx license is integrated into the ArchiCAD license in most countries. This means that if you have an ArchiCAD 17 or newer license you will be capable of using BIMx Desktop with full functionality. (In Japan and Switzerland the BIMx license is still separately available.)
Before ArchiCAD 17 AC and BIMx/VBE licenses were separated, therefore earlier versions of BIMx won’t run with ArchiCAD 17 or newer licenses.
Commercial BIMx license
With a commercial license you can:
- Publish BIMx models to the BIMx Transfer site publicly that can be viewed on various platforms (iOS/Android/Mac/Win)
- Save .bimx files that can be opened in the BIMx Desktop app and in the BIMx viewer
- For private file transfer possibilities upgrade to an SSA account or take a look at the alternative file transfer options for iOS and Android platforms.
If you have an active SSA (Software Services Agreement) subscription, on the BIMx Transfer Site you are entitled to:
- A BIMx Company Account that the company’s members can access
- 5GB of Private storage space per company
- Hidden and optionally password protected links for the uploaded BIMx files
If you have a BIMx license and you would like to open an educational model in BIMx: disable/unplug your protection key.
Trial BIMx license
Trial license can be registered on myarchicad.com anyone can try ArchiCAD for 30 days with BIMx included.
With a trial license:
- You get 100% same functionality as the full commercial license in the Trial period
- Saved “trial” BIMx models that can only be opened/viewed on the same computer they were created
Educational BIMx license
Educational license can be registered on myarchicad.com. After 30 days a license valid for one year can be obtained by registering the student ID.
With an educational license:
- You get 100% same functionality as the full commercial license until your Educational license is valid
- An “EDUCATIONAL VERSION” watermark will be visible in the corner of the BIMx application when it opens a .bimx file saved with ArchiCAD’s EDU version
BIMx Viewer Application
BIMx Viewer is a free application that can be installed and used separately from the BIMx Desktop Application (installed with ArchiCAD). It is ideal for Clients who don’t need ArchiCAD but would like to view their BIMx model on a Desktop platform.
BIMx Viewer has a few limitations comapred to the licensed Application:
- Models can’t be shared to the BIMx Transfer Site
- Models can’t be resaved
- Global Illumination can’t be calculated
BIMx – Building Information Model eXplorer is the free mobile app available to view BIMx models on iOS and Android devices. As the application needs to be developed separately on both platforms, these versions can slightly differ.
In the BIMx App for iOS the BIMx Docs functionality can be purchased with In-App purchases:
- License for current Project – This license enables the BIMx Docs functionality for one Project on that one device.
- License for all your Projects – This license enables the BIMx Docs functionality for all your Projects, it gives the exact same functionality as the BIMx Docs App. Read more on how to transfer or restore this license on another another device with the same Apple ID.
- Sharing for current Project – Architects can share the BIMx Docs functionality with their Clients and Colleagues at a single purchase. Find out more about this option here.
BIMx Docs App
BIMx Docs – Building Information Model eXplorer is the paid version of the mobile app available only for iOS devices. This application contains the entire BIMx Docs functionality already at the time of the purchase. It is possible to share the BIMx Docs functionality with Clients and Colleagues from this version of the App as well.
Please note that there is no need to have both of the applications installed. Apart from the method of purchasing the license both applications have exactly the same functionality.
BIMx file saving/opening
|Format||BIMx Desktop Application||BIMx mobile|
|Licensed Mode||Viewer mode||View only|
|Save .bimx files||+||+*||+**||-||-|
|Share models on the BIMx Transfer site||+||+*||+||-||-|
|Open commercial BIMx files||+||-||-||+||+|
|Open educational BIMx files||-||+||-||+||+|
|Open trial BIMx files||-||-||+**||-||-|
* Models saved in educational version will have EDUCATIONAL watermark
** Models saved with the trial version can be opened only on the same computer as they were created on