ArchiCAD 14 was released on 14 June, 2010. The main theme of ArchiCAD 14 is “Open Design Collaboration“. Besides this, it also features productivity improvements and Teamwork enhancements. A major technology advancement is that ArchiCAD 14 on Mac is now based on the Cocoa API.
- ArchiCAD 14 product review on architosh
- ArchiCAD 14 product review in AEC Magazine
- ArchiCAD 14 product review in cadalyst
ArchiCAD 14 supports the following operating systems:
- Windows XP – 32 and 64-bit versions*
- Windows Vista – 32 and 64-bit versions*
- Windows 7 – 32 and 64-bit versions*
- Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard
- Mac OSX 10.6 Snow leopard
- The BIM Server also supports Windows Server 2003 and 2008, and OSX 10.5 or 10.6 Server operating systems.
* ArchiCAD 14 has 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows and 32-bit Mac versions
ArchiCAD 14 can open or import the following file formats:
- ArchiCAD projects (.pln, .pla, .mod, .tpl, .plc, .pca) from ArchiCAD 8.1 or newer
- ArchiCAD objects (.gsm) from ArchiCAD 4.55 or newer
- PlotMaker layout Book (.LBK) and drawing (.PMK) files
- IFC 2×3, IFC 2×3 compressed, IFC 2×3 XML, IFC 2×3 XML compressed – 2D and 3D content
- IFC 2×2 through Goodie tool – 3D content
- DWF – 2D content
- DWG (2000 to 2011) – 2D and 3D content
- DGN (Microstation Design file) v7 – 2D content
- 3DS (through the “3D Studio In” goodie tool) – 3D content
- SKP and KMZ (Sketchup files through the Google earth Connection add-on, on 32-bit Windows OS only) – 3D content
- C4D (Cinema4D v 11/11.5 files through the Cinema 4D add-On) – 2D and 3D content
- PICT vector images
- various raster image file formats (SGI, PSD, BMP, JPG, JP2, PNG, PCT, TIF, TGA, QTIF)
ArchiCAD 14 can save or export the following file formats:
- ArchiCAD 14 Solo Project file (.PLN), Project archive (.PLA), and template (.TPL)
- ArchiCAD 13 Project (.PLN) file
- ArchiCAD object (.gsm) version 27 (ArchiCAD 14- equivalent)
- ArchiCAD object (.gsm) version 25 (ArchiCAD 13-equivalent), through saving a PLN with embedded library to ArchiCAD 13 format
- ArchiCAD object script (.GDL)
- ArchiCAD drawing file (.PMK) through the publisher when publishing Views
- DWG (2000-2011 format, 2D and 3D)
- IFC 2×3, IFC 2×3 compressed, IFC 2×3 XML, IFC 2×3 XML compressed
- IFC 2×2 through Goodie tool
- 3DS 3D studio file
- SKP and KMZ (through the Google earth Connection add-on, on 32-bit Windows OS only)
- C4D (Cinema4D v 11/11.5 files through the Cinema 4D add-On) – 2D and 3D content
- OBJ Wavefront file (3D)
- EPX Piranesi File (3D)
- FACT ElectricImage file (3D)
- WRL VRML file (3D)
- ATL ArtLantis Render Studion file 2.0 and 3.0 (3D)
- U3D file (3D)
- various image formats (SGI, PSD, BMP, JPG, JP2, PNG, PCT, TIF, TGA, QTIF)
ArchiCAD 14 comes with several license types:
- Commercial license requires a WibuKey or CodeMeter hardware protection key
- Trial is a fully functional 30-day license that can be downloaded from http://myarchicad.com and comes with a license number
- Demo license does not require neither a hardware key nor a license number. All save/export options are disabled, but printing is possible.
- Educational license is available through http://myarchicad.com. A 1-year license number is available upon approval
- Pay-Per-use (PPU) license requires a hardware key. PPU license lets you run ArchiCAD for the number of hours purchased
- Rental license requires a hardware protection key. A Rental license lets you run ArchiCAd for 1,3, or 12 calendar months.
- License Borrowing – ArchiCAD 14 supports License Borrowing – when a temporary ArchiCAD Commercial license is borrowed from a multi-license CodeMeter protection key.
Add-Ons for ArchiCAD 14
- EcoDesigner has been significantly improved for ArchiCAD 14. EcoDesigner for ArchiCAD 14 is a free upgrade for EcoDesigner for ArchiCAD 13 users.
- MEP Modeler for ArchiCAD 14 is a free upgrade MEP Modeler for ArchiCAD 13 users. The feature set has not changed.
- Virtual Building Explorer for ArchiCAD 14 now uses hardware-key protection: serial numbers are no longer used, instead the license is loaded into the ArchiCAD protection key. VBE for ArchiCAD 14 is a free upgrade from VBE for ArchiCAD 13 with global illumination. VBE is no longer available without global illumination. Users who had the non-global illumination version have to upgrade.
- Cinema 4D Add-On for ArchiCAD is a free Add-On that provides bi-directional connection between ArchiCAD and Cinema 4D version 11/11.5
- Google Earth Connections for ArchiCAD is a free Add-on available on the 32-bit Windows platform only. It provides connection to Google earth and the Google 3D warehouse.
Find a detailed list in the New Features Guide (PDF format): New Features.pdf
Open Design Collaboration
ArchiCAD 14 introduces workflow solutions that help bridge the different requirements for BIM models between architects and the various engineering disciplines of the AEC industry. Model mapping, element classification, IFC reference model version tracking and change management support help the coordination between architects and engineers become a smooth and automatic process.
Find more information about interoperability on Help Center’s IFC page
- Refined Model Mapping – Building Element Classification extends ArchiCAD construction element data by adding new properties such as “IFC Element Type,” and “Structural Function” to provide the foundation for model mapping with engineering BIM models.
- Model-based IFC Reference Model Version Tracking – For best-in-class coordination workflow with Engineers, ArchiCAD 14 allows architects to compare IFC model versions and to import only differences, displaying design changes with color codes in the architectural model context.
- Direct Link to Structural and MEP Applications – IFC translators optimized for exporting model data to various structural and MEP applications – including Revit Structure and Revit MEP – offer best-in-class coordination workflow with leading engineering solutions worldwide.
- ArchiCAD, TEKLA Structures: Complete Workflow Integration – ArchiCAD 14 bridges the different requirements for BIM models between architects and engineers regardless of the name and version of the application they prefer working with. ArchiCAD 14’s “Open BIM” approach greatly broadens designers’ options for real Integrated Project Delivery (IPD).
- Streamlined Autodesk AutoCAD 2010 DWG I/O – Despite increased reliance on model-based workflows, architects still need to coordinate their designs with engineers using traditional 2D workflows. ArchiCAD 14 introduces streamlined DWG/DXF 2010 Import-Export and support for DWG formats used by all Autocad® 2010-based applications.
Teamwork and BIM Server Enhancements
- Next Generation Teamwork- ArchiCAD 13 introduced the GRAPHISOFT BIM Server – a first of its kind solution for model based team collaboration. ArchiCAD 14 also moves forward with developments to its revolutionary BIM Server based Teamwork solution, further optimizing the management of design teams working on shared BIM projects. All Teamwork functionality is free of charge and available out-of-the-box!
- BIM Server Performance Monitor- The BIM Server performance monitor function provides project leaders and CAD/BIM managers with powerful management tools to get all the information necessary for the decisions required for an optimal Teamwork project workflow.
- Teamwork “Pack & Go” – Teamwork “Pack & Go” enables designers to take Teamwork projects anywhere as a transportable data package. Additional work can be done without the need for physical access to the BIM Server from any remote computer.
- Teamwork “Solo” Mode – Teamwork “solo” mode helps solo practitioners utilize the full potential of the powerful BIM Server infrastructure on solo projects as well as provides a significantly streamlined workflow for project leaders at the early phases of large team projects.
About the migration of a Teamwork project from Archicad 13 or from older Archicad Versions you can reed in the attached PDF. Migrating from ArchiCAD 13
General Productivity Improvements
- Shadows in Open GL 3D View – ArchiCAD 14 greatly improves in-model visualization with shadow casting in 3D OpenGL views. Live 3D views of the BIM model in addition to being work-views also become a standard basis for communicating the design intent with clients.
- Extended Options for Doors & Windows – ArchiCAD 14 offers users increased control over model-based sections and details of doors and windows. An extended set of Reveal and Wall Closure setting options make creation of refined details a fully automatic process.
- Dimension Text Prefix & Suffix – Model-based annotation is key to an effective BIM workflow. Custom prefixes & suffixes added to associative dimensions – while keeping their real measured values – can boost documentation productivity by an order of magnitude.
- Improved Handling of Schedules – ArchiCAD 14 introduces standard spreadsheet editing techniques to improve productivity in Schedule and Index windows. Quantity take-offs can now be exported to Excel with graphical information included for WYSIWYG results.
- Direct Import of Site-Survey Data – Site survey data coming directly from theodolites can now be imported into ArchiCAD with a single click. XYZ coordinates automatically convert into an ArchiCAD Mesh element providing an accurate 3D model of the environment.
- Performance Optimizations – ArchiCAD 14 delivers improvements to speed in various operations depending on project size and complexity. In addition to faster IFC model import/export, interactive element schedule updates, and library handling, the GRAPHISOFT BIM Server takes full advantage of 64-bit computing on the Mac OS X platform.
New Features on Mac
ArchiCAD 14 is now a Cocoa application. The transition from the Carbon API to the Cocoa API was a major development achievement which secures the future of ArchiCAD on the Mac platform and opens new possibilities for development. In itself, however, it brings little visible benefit for the user. Some minor benefits are visible in ArchiCAD 14, though, such as:
- Magic mouse support: for more details visit our MagicMouse article.
- Searchable attribute menus: The names which contain the typed characters are highlighted in menus.
- Hierarchical font menus: ArchiCAD now supports hierarchical font menus.
- Animated tabs in dialogs: Tabs are animated in settings dialogs.
- Dialog live resize: The window’s content is shown while resizing it.
- Full keyboard access in modal dialogs